The Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232h; 34 CFR Part 98), requires CKSD to notify you and obtain consent or allow you to opt your child out of participating in a student survey, analysis, or evaluation that concerns any of the following:
- Political affiliations or beliefs;
- Mental and psychological problems;
- Sex behavior and attitudes;
- Illegal, anti-social, self-incriminating and demeaning behavior;
- Critical appraisals of other individuals with whom respondents have close family relationships;
- Privileged or analogous relationships, with lawyers, physicians, doctors or ministers;
- Religious practices, affiliations, or beliefs;
- Income, other than that required by law to determine eligibility.
This requirement also applies to collection of student information for marketing purposes, and certain non-emergency, invasive exams and screening.
CKSD will notify parents prior to the administration of any such survey or activity and will provide an opportunity to review the survey and opt their child out. Parents who believe their rights under PPRA have been violated may file a complaint with:
Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-5920